Terms and conditions
This Agreement is made between you (the End User) and University College London (UCL) (also referred to as the Registrar) and the service funders in order to provide you with the right to view, download and/or use the materials provided through the CAVA repository. By agreeing to the Terms and Conditions and Data Protection statement below, you undertake to use any materials for private study purposes only, and you undertake not to make any further copies, nor to distribute, publish, broadcast or disseminate, any part of any material however modified without explicit written permission. The Registrar will hold data about you and may provide it to the owners of materials and others in accordance with UK and EU laws and only for the purposes of management and protection of materials.
The CAVA repository is managed by UCL Library Services on behalf of UCL.
All materials supplied via the CAVA repository are protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights, and duplication or sale of all or part of any of the materials is not permitted outside of the conditions set out below.
I (the End User) agree to the following conditions of use in consideration of the materials being made available to me:
Responsibilities of the user. I (the End User) agree:
1. That I am the person named above, and that I am legally capable of entering into this agreement with the Registrar.
2. To use any part of the materials only for the purposes of not-for-profit research. Any other usage needs explicit written agreement from the Registrar. The materials may NOT be used for teaching.
3. That any annotations, transcriptions and/or translations of the materials that I undertake will be shared with the Registrar at the earliest possible opportunity. (Note: Information about annotations/transcriptions/translations which are complete and/or in progress by the Registrar, as well as annotation guidelines, are available at www.bslcorpusproject.org/cava.)
4. To ensure that the materials and means of access to the materials (such as passwords) are kept secure and not disclosed to a third party except by special written permission or licence obtained from the Registrar. The materials may NOT be used for teaching.
5. To preserve at all times the confidentiality of information pertaining to individuals in the materials. Not to use the materials to attempt to obtain or derive information relating specifically to an identifiable individual, nor to claim to have derived such information. In addition, to preserve the confidentiality of information provided about, or supplied by, people/organisations recorded in the materials, excepting information that appears in the metadata. I will not knowingly use materials for any purpose which causes disparagement, disrespect, damage to reputation, or harm to any individual or group.
6. Should I wish to publish or present any work based in whole or in part on the materials, to acknowledge the original data creators, depositors or copyright holders, the funders of the data collection (if different) and the CAVA repository in the form specified on the data distribution notes or in accompanying metadata received with the materials. (For appropriate wording of acknowledgements and citations, see www.bslcorpusproject.org/cava/acknowledgements-and-citation/). I will, wherever possible, send a copy of such publication to the Registrar.
7. Should I wish to publish or present any representative examples from the materials to other researchers, to publish or present only still images or video clips of no longer than 10 seconds long each.
8. That the Registrar collects personal data to create User Accounts, to facilitate users' access to CAVA's resources, and to manage, protect, and report usage of materials. The Registrar will store data about users and their access to materials for the duration of their user license. The data will be stored securely in accordance with the laws of the United Kingdom and the European Union. I understand that the data may identify me and may be shared with the owners of the materials and others only for the purposes of managing the materials. The Registrar may contact me in the future about my Account. I consent to such uses of information about me.
9. That any personal data submitted by me is accurate to the best of my knowledge, and that any changes in that personal data, including my educational or employment status, during the licence period will be made known to the Registrar at the earliest possible opportunity.
10. That I am entitled to make a Data Subject Access request to find out what personal data UCL is still holding about me – this can be done by submitting a formal Subject Access Request, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
11. I understand that user licenses last until the end of each calendar year and that a new application should be submitted and approved if I wish to continue accessing CAVA beyond this.
12. I understand that any breach of any of the provisions of this Agreement may lead to immediate termination of my access to all services provided by the Data Service Provider either permanently or temporarily, at the discretion of a member of the CAVA team, and may result in legal action being taken against me or (if I am a research student) against my supervisor.
The Licence and the materials are provided by the Registrar and the Data Service Provider on an "as is" basis and without warranty or liability of any kind. The members of CAVA team accept no liability for, and I will not be entitled to claim against them in respect of, any direct, indirect, consequential or incidental damages or losses arising from use of the materials, or from the unavailability of, or break in access to, the service, for whatever reason.
Further conditions may be notified to me from time to time by the Registrar that may apply to the access to, or use of, specific materials within the materials or particular datasets. My acceptance of the further conditions shall be required before I gain access to the materials in question.
In this agreement:
"Materials" means the data being deposited, including video, transcripts, annotations, translations, metadata and related data.
"Data service provider" means the persons or organisations that directly provide End Users with the data collections (on behalf of the service funder), being the CAVA repository managed by UCL Library Services.
"Registrar" means the organisation responsible for the system that registers End Users and issues them with End User Licences, being British Sign Language Corpus Project, UCL Deafness, Cognition & Language Research Centre.